Being in such a stacked industry Starspins is a prime example of a UK casino that focuses it’s attention solely to slot games. They provide a fair selection of slot titles as well as some decent jackpots, which can definitely catch the punters attention. In the following text, we will break down all the essentials you would want to know before depositing your own funds. You’ll find out about such key aspects as their licensing, i.e. which licenses do they hold and which countries can they operate in legally as well as Responsible Gambling tools they’ve got in place, and most importantly are they true to the GDRP policies. Additionally, you’ll find information about the owners of the site and the site’s technical intricacies, such as what kind of servers they use and how their site is built (employing which languages and methods).
Important Terms and Responsible Gambling
Starspins has been founded in 2013, according to the information present on the site. The site operates on the basis of the Terms and Conditions specified in the footer. The main features for the members of our Aloha club are as follows:
- According to the par. 8.1.11 – it is strictly forbidden to play outside the UK. It says next – You may use the site only on a territory where it is legal. Under these words they mean, that you can not deposit or play outside UK even if you are a UK citizen and have an account there. In order to use the site, you should follow the main rule – physically located within the UK/ROI.
- Par. 4.6 Anti-Money Laundering: Among the standard age and identity verification, Starspins has the right to ask for additional details including documentation which may be needed to verify your identity and address as well as request proof of ownership for any payment methods and funds used to deposit or withdraw funds.
The interesting fact is that there is no list of documents that can be asked for.
- Par. 10 Responsible Gaming. Under this paragraph, we can see that the site has all mandatory and necessary mechanisms for safe gaming. Here you can find pretty much everything:
- 10.2 Cool Off: Here is a standard exclusion options for the periods from twenty four (24) hours up to six (6) weeks
- 10.3 Deposit Limit and Frequency Control: These options allow you to set a maximum deposit limit and frequency control on your account
- 10.4 Self-Exclusion: Basic self-exclusion comes here. Periods are: six (6) months – minimum to a five (5) years which is maximum. Kindly note, that accounts suspended due to self-exclusion cannot be re-opened for any reason until the self-exclusion time period has expired, and only then you can contact their live-support and ask for unblocking it.
- 10.6 GAMSTOP: Here comes the GAMSTOP. All the casinos now have that feature. In short, the system detects the players who are registered in it and exclude them as a part of responsible gaming policy.
Hosting and Security
The site is owned by Gamesys Group, which provides software and support for the Starspins site. Since the start of the project, the following features of the site are highlighted:
- Software Provider – Genesys Group, one of the largest providers of casino solutions
- Server – the server is physically located in the UK and is the property of the Gamesys Group. That’s good because these kind of sites are often faster and more responsive. On the other hand, it’s pretty simple to organize a DDOS attack on such sites, which paralyzes their work for a long time. Using your own servers is not secure, but allows faster access.
- SSL Certificate – the website uses a certificate issued by Digicert / Thawte. In short, there are 2 types of certificates: free or paid with the different levels of encryptions. To ensure the client’s security, the encryption algorithms must be complex enough. Some sites don’t even have a certificate on their homepage, which is highly insecure and inadvisable. The customers of these sites are in high-risk security and their data can be easily stolen. As for Starspins – the encryption algorithm will reliably protect players from unauthorized access to information. You can use the site safely.
Technologies used in the site development
In terms of website writing, the following indicators are worth noting:
- Frontend: site use react js + jquery elements. React JS is a modern library used for Frontend development. Is typically employed by modern teams. Typically such sites are more secure and are less common to have code related issued, like typos etc. As for Jquery – it is the oldest and the most complex development method. This method defining feature is that all the code has to be written manually. Unfortunately, this also means that the possibility of typos and mistakes in the code is also high, thus making such sites less secure. Besides, such sites also tend to be slow and inaccessible.
Based on the foregoing, note that If a development team employs several methods simultaneously, that usually means such team haven’t figured out or gained a proper insight on a single method. Normally that means such sites risk to be a lot less secure.
- Transport Layer: Data received from HTTP Query which is a slow connection type which heavily relies on network settings. This sometimes can heavily affect site performance.
- Server: Express – such servers are very unstable with a list of vulnerabilities.
The main company is Gamesys – an online gaming holding company, originally founded as The Intertain Group Limited (“Intertain”).: https://www.gamesysgroup.com/
It is a huge company which has some an incredible list of the casinos in ownership. They are: Virgin Games, Jackpotjoy, Vera&John, Heart Bingo, Monopoly Casino, Botemania and Starspins. Their first project in the Casino market was Jackpotjoy (formed in 2002) which achieved: ‘WhichBingo’s Best Bingo Site’ and ‘EGR’s Brand of the Year’ awards in 2019.
General useful information
The main category for the site is described quite simply – a regular casino site, with an emphasis on beautiful graphics and a calm design option. They preferred to use timeless classics – dark background and pretty bright spins’ icons. Negative sides of such selection are that Welcome Promo rules and all the info are hardly visible so some the details you are interested in, like the bonus expiry date, could be lost.
Starspins as a startup started up and won the hearts of many players around the world with its diverse showcase. The icons are big and all the pictures have a high quality.
Starspins showcases top providers, such as Playngo, Netent, Bit Time Gaming. The set of games proposed by the company allows players to immerse themselves in the gaming environment as much as possible, to feel like part of a casino.
Starspins started and continue to offer the player bonuses and free spins in various categories of games. Using free spins, players can spend their time with great interest. (describe some promos) Surprisingly, 30 free spins on just two slots, which are Secrets of the Phoenix and Double Bubble, is their Welcome offer and the only offer we managed to find. Even if other promotions do exist, we could not locate them anywhere on the website. To qualify for the bonus a punter needs to make a minimum deposit of £10 and wager it and these 30 free spins are yours to enjoy. However, need to use them within 30 days, otherwise the free spins will be nullified.
Starspins homepage is as simple as it could possibly be. Firstly, as sports betting is not presented, a lot of space is dedicated to the slots and casino games that they have on offer. That also determines a minimalistic design with dark backdrop and a vivid picture of a blue bell on the side, in front of their promo description, making all tabs and submenus clearly visible and easy to reach. If you scroll down the page, you will see a list of their games, distributed to groups like ‘Top slots’, ‘New slots’ and so on, but just a few from each group are shown. To view more games just pick the right of three links to games in the dark grey header menu – Online Slots, Casino, and Free Games or All games.
At the moment of its launch, Starspins could operate and perform market research under any licence, but as time passed the gambling licences were becoming a more and more opened issue.
Starspins is an affiliated company of international Gamesys Group international soft provider, which holds several licences, including those used by Starspins for operations. At the moment, the company holds two licences:
- Gibraltar N48 License
According to publicly available data, Gibraltar licence was obtained in 2013. The website was one of the first ones to get this licence and it could receive spins in many countries all over Europe.
Gibraltar Licensing Authority issues so-called Remote Gambling licences, and ‘remote gambling’ stands for telephone and Internet betting. As the official website states, only blue chip companies with a proven track record in gambling, licensed in a reputable jurisdiction, of good financial standing and with a realistic business plan can obtain a licence from Gibraltar licencing authority.
This licence is used by the following respectful operators: Coral, Ladbrokes, William hill, Betway, Betfred, Unibet, Betdaq, Bwin, Betvictor, Boylesports
- UK Gambling Commission
In 2014 the website got an opportunity to take bets and register casino players from England, thus obtaining a gambling commission licence.
UK Gambling Commission is the only entity that allows Starspins to operate in Great Britain’s market.
The licensed activities are bingo, casino, real event, the licence type is active and remote.
Some of prominent websites that hold UKGC licence are bet365, Ladbrokes, Coral, Paddy Power, William Hill, Betway, Betfair, Betfred, Unibet, Betdaq, bwin, Sky Bet, Betvictor, Boylesports and Smarkets.
The site’s design is quite interesting and modern. Basically, it stayed that way as they always specialized in casino slots, and there isn’t anything else but that there. The background of the site matched its name with the elements of cosmos and different galaxies in the dark emptiness. There was a light blue bell with number 7 and 2 cherries at the top and it stayed that way, believe it or not, till nowadays. It was also possible to find any slot to your liking using a ‘loupe’ icon, and it’s still in top right corner of the website.
At the present moment, Starspins is quite a large and interesting website, one of the most significant online-casinos in England. As time flows many things change, gambling approaches also being revised, regulators are constantly implementing new rules and restrictions. Unfortunately, not every website operator manages to comply with them. In 2019 an investigation process was initiated with Starspins website concerning the licence requirements violation.
According to the official UKGC site, after a thorough check of Starspins, some weaknesses were discovered in the field of AML policy. Moreover, some issues with social responsibility were also found.
Going further, the UK Gambling Commission website says that a following regulatory settlement was reached as a result of the investigation:
- A payment in lieu of a financial penalty of £690,000 which will go to the National Strategy to Reduce Gambling Harms
- A divestment to reimburse identified victims of crime of £460,472
- Payment towards investigative costs
To sum it all up, they were obliged to pay about £1.2m for not taking all the necessary measures to prevent any harm from gambling and breaching AML regulations.The UKGC launched its own investigation after police revealed that three individuals had spent stolen money on gambling on this website. Additionally, it turned out that some customers were showing clear signs of problems with gambling responsibly, the operator did not take any proactive measures to protect such players from possible harm. Anti-money laundering policy was also a weak place of Starspins, as the investigation showed that they failed to establish customers’ source of funds, among other issues.
Despite all that, Starspins website provides a very nice and pleasant pastime for its players. Being Aloha Cluster Pay fan club, we can with complete confidence say that this website is safe for players, as they made all the necessary corrections of found deficiencies and is currently in full compliance with the both countries’ licence requirements.